Click for Next Page

Steam Up Area (4)


Steam Up 8 (27K)

The concrete mix was 1 part cement, 3 parts building sand and 3 parts horticultural grit as aggregate. Runny wet mix was poured very slowly into the shuttering and tamped across and round the lighting cables.

If was a fine sunny day so I covered the steam up area with boards and polythene to control setting rate. Next day the shuttering was removed, and the covers replaced for a further few days of drying out. I then cut away the PVC tape and tidied the holes for the station lamps using a craft knife to scrape away surplus concrete.

I used a hammer drill & masonry bit to drill various locating holes for signs and railings.

The track has also been ballasted using horticultural grit with 50/50 diluted PVA trickled into it. This sets hard but may show white at the edges for a few weeks when it rains. This does eventually clear.

Steam Up 9 (41K)

On to Steam Up Area (5)
Back to Steam Up Area (3)

The photographs and text on this page are copyright (c) Paul Backhouse 2001-2003 and may not be reproduced or distributed without the owner's permission.

this way home
Return to Home Page